The history of the castle of Magyaróvár dates back to the Roman era, as a castrum (camp) stood in the area of the castle gate under name Ad Flexum. Around 1250, a square dwelling tower without fortification was built, which was destroyed in 1290. The construction of the today’s castle was started in 1364, the ownership of which changed several times until 1522. The L-shaped annex was built in the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries in its reconstructed form, which is the so-called constable building.
The castle and its defence works were developed several times in the 17th century. It was under siege two times in this period, once it successfully returned the arms of István Bocskai burning down the city in 1605, but it surrendered to the troops of Gábor Bethlen without a siege in 1619. In 1689, it was set on fire by the Turkish troops retreating from the siege of Vienna. It was rebuilt, and survived several sieges from the Kuruc arms until its military significance was lost in 1712. Subsequently, the castle belonged to the imperial court, and then, in 1766, Mária Terézia donated the estate of Magyaróvár and its headquarters to Mária Krisztina.
In 1818, the building gained its present form, its third level was constructed in 8 years, and then the husband of Archduchness Mária Krisztina, Albert Kázmér Prince of Saxe-Teschen founded the legal predecessor of the university faculty still operating in the building, the Private Agricultural Higher School of Magyaróvár. Thereby the castle was and is still used for higher education. In 1953, it became a protected monument, it was renovated in 1960, then the monument was restored after five years of archaeological excavations and wall research from 1973, and became a specially protected monument in 1997. We can state that it is the single castle of Hungary, which accommodates higher education. The building is surrounded by its remaining defence works, its cellar system, the castle garden (a moat previously filled with water), the castle bridge and the castle gate, then the castle lake and Lajta river on its southern, western and northern sides.
The Exhibition of the History of the Castle and of the Institution is situated on the ground level of the renewed castle of Magyaróvár, which presents the more than 200 years of history of the university faculty by means of thee-language tablets, touch screens and interactive game elements.
The structure of the exhibition stands on three legs, following the main stations of the history and function changes of the castle from its construction to these days. The three tracts are clearly separated even in space in the ground-level halls of the renewed castle, using the advantages of the architectural features.
The Museum of Hanság is the next sight of Mosonmagyaróvár, which belongs to the oldest museums of our country with its 102 year past. The association creating the museum was formed in 1882 under name “Historical and Archaeological Society of Moson County”.
After the establishment of the National Centre of Museums and Monuments, in 1950, the institution was owned by the state, then from 1962 it operated under supervision by the Museum Directorate of Győr-Sopron County, and it was extended with the oldest monumental building of the city, the so-called Cselley house in 1982, which accommodates a craft exhibition, a stone collection from the Roman era and a Gyurkovics collection.
The oldest dwelling house of the city stands in the Fő street of the Baroque-style Magyaróvár. It is named after the family of the last owner of the house. Among them, Kálmán Cselley notary public worked also as the chairman of the museum building committee.
The beauties of the medieval dwelling house are presented by the reconstruction following the monumental exploration carried out in the 1970’s. Its iron-barred wooden balconies and richly carved stone frame windows remind us of a late Gothic and early Renaissance dwelling house. The plaster remnants of the gateway offers a medieval atmosphere, on which signatures, child drawings and the drawing of a castle tower made with black and red chalks are shown. The Baroque Saint Rókus located in the gateway is one of the original sub-figures of the group of statues standing on Deak square.
The county seat, Győr is located 35 km from Mosonmagyaróvár. It is worth walking through the historical centre of the city, visiting the episcopal castle or the Xantus János Zoo. If you visit the vicinity, do not omit the Abbey of Pannonhalma.
For additional information on the sights, see Wien.info website.
It is worth visiting the McArthurGlen Designer Outlet Center during the travel, which is located in Parndorf. Plenty of world brands are available in the outlet with up to 70% price allowances.
You have to travel only 30 minutes from Mosonmagyaróvár to reach the Slovakian capital. Plenty of sights welcome you in Pozsony:
More information: Sights of Pozsony